Đề Anh thi thử vào lớp 10 chuyên lần 1 năm 2018 huyện Tân Thành, Vũng Tàu
Đề thi thử tuyển sinh vào lớp 10 môn Tiếng Anh chuyên lần 1 năm học 2018 - 2019 huyện Tân Thành, Vũng Tàu
PHÒNG GD&ĐT TÂN THÀNH
ĐỀ THI THỬ VÀO LỚP 10 NĂM HỌC 2018 - 2019
Thời gian làm bài: 120 phút
I/ LISTENING (1.5 pt)
Part 1: Listen to two friends, Kim and Sue, talking about the evening classes that Kim is doing and CIRCLE the best answers to the questions.
1. How long ago did Kim and Sue last meet up?
A. an age B. a few weeks C. a number of months D. a couple of months
2. What did she get for her birthday?
A. an automatic camera B. a second-hand camera
C. a digital camera D. a multi-purpose camera
3. Which class does she find difficult?
A. computer class B. accounting class C. marketing class D. time management class
4. Who does she go to her dance class with?
A. all of her classmates
B. a few people from work
C. a group of her childhood friends
D. her two best friends
5. How long is Sue going to be in the USA?
A. a few days B. a fortnight C. two weeks D. one month
Part 2: Listen to two students, Mia and Tim, talking about their first week at university and FILL IN each blank with NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
1. Tim: You went to Professor Lee’s geography ______________ yesterday, didn’t you?
Mia: Yeah, but I didn’t understand very much.
2. Tim: And it’s a huge campus – I keep getting lost.
Mia: Yes, so do I. Yesterday I was walking around for ages looking for the_______________.
3. Tim: Well, at least you found it in the end. Maybe you should get a map.
Mia: I did have a map! I just couldn’t work out where I was to ________________!
4. Tim: Anyway do you live here on campus?
Mia: No, I don’t. I was told it was really expensive, so I’m living in a _________________ about two miles from here.
5. Tim: Right, I have to go.
Mia: Maybe see you again soon.
Tim: Yeah, I hope so. And try not to get lost again!
Mia: I’ll ______________________. Bye.
II/ MULTIPLE CHOICE (1.5 pt)
CIRCLE the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently.
1. A. southern B. mouthful C. mountain D. roundabout
CIRCLE the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word that differs from the rest in the position of the main
2. A. admirable B. automobile C. preferable D. respectable
CIRCLE the word or phrase that best completes each of the sentences.
3. I am ______ the impression that he has a gift for the English language.
A. for B. in C. under D. with
4. Because of its warm typical climate, Hawaii ______ subzero temperature.
A. almost experiences never B. almost never experiences
C. experiences never almost D. experiences almost never
5. Every ______ and then I hang out with my childhood friends.
A. now B. when C. often D. there
6. - Haven’t you finished your decorating for Tet?
- No, and I do think you _______ help me instead of just standing around.
A. shall B. might C. please D. will
7. One person ______ seven in the world speaks perfect English.
A. from B. within C. for among D. out of
8. Is it necessary that I ______ here tomorrow, helping you with the gardening?
A. were B. am being C. be D. would be
9. Most women today often prefer to wear modern clothing at work ______ it is more convenient.
A. although B. however C. as D. moreover
10. He was presented with ______ nice present in ______ recognition of his contribution to ______ English speaking club.
A. a/ a/ an B. the/ x/ an C. a/ x/ the D. the/ the/ the
11. Making mistakes is all ______ of growing up.
A. chalk and cheese B. top and button C. part and parcel D. odds and ends
12. _______, methane can be used as a fuel.
A. It is produced by the fermentation of organic matter
B. Produced by the fermentation of organic matter
C. The production by the fermentation of organic matter
D. The fermentation of organic matter
13. When my mother was in hospital, I was busy so I had to see her not _______ but _______.
A. some day / every day B. every day / some other day
C. every day / every other day D. the other day / every day
14. Being quick on the ______ , the student made rapid progress.
A. takeover B. uptake C. take-off D. intake
15. - Peter: Why did she think you had an accident?
- Jane: I was sick once or twice and I suppose she just put two and two together and made ______.
A. two B. three C. five D. six
III/ IDENTIFY the underlined word(s) (A, B, C, D) that is wrong and CORRECT it. (1 pt)
Example: EX: 0. (A) No other quality is more important (B) for a scientist to acquire (C) as to observe (D) carefully.
0. C -> than
1. (A) Feathers keep birds (B) warm and dry (C) also enable (D) them to fly.
2. Some studies show (A) that young babies prefer (B) the smell of milk (C) to those of (D) other liquids.
3. The function of pain is (A) to warn the individual (B) of danger (C) so he can take action to avoid (D) more serious damage.
4. The director of this film also plays (A) his central character; a (B) prison guard and family man, who (C) means well but can’t help (D) keeping secrets from his wife and kids.
5. When I heard I (A) had got the part, I spent the (B) next few days not knowing what to think, going from feeling (C) wildly happy (D) to be absolutely terrific!
1. ______>______________ 2. ______> ______________ 3. ______> ______________
4. ______> ______________ 5. ______> ______________
IV/ Supply the appropriate forms of the words in brackets. (0.5 pt)
1. The father warned the children that if they (behave) ______ again, they would be punished.
2. For the celebrities, life is just an endless (succeed) ______ of parties and dinners.
3. The diet in space is balanced rather (differ) ______ from a terrestrial diet, the diet on earth.
4. This TV (document) ______ follows a family of chimpanzees which live in the forest of Tanzania.
5. Mary has no practical experience in teaching. She only has (book) ______ knowledge of the subject.
=> 1. ________________ 2. ________________ 3. _________________
4. ________________ 5. ________________
V/ Fill in each blank with ONE suitable word to complete the passage. (1 pt)
Using a dictionary – When you are learning the English language, it is a good idea to purchase at least a dictionary to help you. Dictionaries (1) _____________ you a list of words in alphabetical order with their meanings explained or written in the same language or in another language and the spelling for words. There are lots of different (2) _____________of dictionaries that you can use. It’s a good idea to have an English – Vietnamese dictionary as well as an English – English one. It is really useful to have a good English – English dictionary, (3) _____________ are sometimes called “learner’s dictionaries” even though (4) _____________ dictionaries (dictionaries with English and your language, Vietnamese) are easier for you to understand.
Nowadays, dictionaries are produced as a book or electronically. Some dictionaries are available to use for free on the Internet. Make sure you use dictionaries (5) _____________ reputable publishers that provide you with correct information on the words you are looking up.
VI/ Read the passage below, and CIRCLE the correct answer (A, B, C or D) for each numbered blank. (0.5 pt)
INFLUENCES OF TELEVISION - Television has changed the lifestyle of people in every industrialized country in the world. Television, (1) ______ not essential, has become an integral part of most people’s lives. It has become a baby-sitter, an initiator of conversations, a major transmitter of culture, and a keeper of traditions. Yet when what can be seen on TV in one day is critically analyzed, it becomes evident that television is not a teacher but a sustainer. The poor (2) ______ of programs does not elevate people into greater understanding. The (3) _______ reason for the lack of quality in American television is related to both the history of TV development and the economics of TV. Television in America began with the radio. Radio companies and their sponsors first experimented with television. Therefore, the close relationship, which the advertisers had with radio programs, became the system for American TV. Sponsors not
only paid money for time (4) _______ programs, but many actually produced the programs. Thus, coming from the capitalistic, profit-oriented sector of American society, television is primarily concerned with reflecting and attracting society (5) _______ than innovating and experimenting with new ideas. Advertisers want to attract the largest viewing audience possible; to do so requires that the programs be entertaining rather than challenging.
1. A. although B. but C. despite D. however
2. A. effect B. quality C. quantity D. product
3. A. adequate B. inexplicable C. primary D. unknown
4. A. along B. for C. in D. within
5. A. more B. rather C. less D. better
VII/ Read the passage, and then CIRCLE the correct answer for each question. (1 pt)
Esperanto is what is called a planned, or artificial, language. It was created more than a century ago by Polish eye doctor Ludwik Lazar Zamenhof. Zamenhof believed that a common language would help to alleviate some of the misunderstandings among cultures. In Zamenhof’s first attempt at a universal language, he tried to create a language that was as uncomplicated as possible. This first language included words such as ab, ac, ba, eb, be, and ce. This
did not result in a workable language in that these monosyllabic words, though short, were not easy to understand or to retain.
Next, Zamenhof tried a different way of constructing a simplified language. He made the words in his language sound like words that people already knew, but he simplified the grammar tremendously. One example of how he simplified the language can be seen in the suffixes: all nouns in this language end in o, as in the noun amiko, which means “friend,” and all adjectives end in –a, as in the adjective bela, which means “pretty.” Another example of the simplified language can be seen in the prefix mal-, which makes the word opposite in meaning; the word malamiko therefore means “enemy,” and the word malbela therefore means “ugly” in Zamenhof’s language.
In 1887, Zamenhof wrote a description of this language and published it. He used a pen name, Dr. Esperanto, when signing the book. He selected the name Esperanto because this word means “a person who hopes” in his language. Esperanto clubs began popping up throughout Europe, and by 1905, Esperanto had spread from Europe to America and Asia.
In 1905, the First World Congress of Esperanto took place in France, with approximately 700 attendees from 20 different countries. Congresses were held annually for nine years, and 4,000 attendees were registered for the Tenth World Esperanto Congress scheduled for 1914, when World War I erupted and forced its cancellation. Esperanto has had its ups and downs in the period since World War I. Today, years after it was introduced, it is estimated that perhaps a quarter of a million people are fluent in it. This may seem like a large number, but it is really quite small when compared with the billion English speakers and billions Mandarin Chinese speakers in today’s world. Current advocates would like to see its use grow considerably and we are taking steps to try to make this happen.
1. The topic of this passage is ________ .
A. a language developed in the last few years B. one man’s efforts to create a universal language
C. how language can be improved D. using language to communicate internationally
2. It can be inferred from the passage that the Esperanto word malespera means _______ .
A. hope B. hopeless C. hopeful D. hoping
3. According to the passage, what happened to the Tenth World Esperanto Congress?
A. It had 4,000 attendees. B. It was scheduled for 1915.
C. It had attendees from 20 countries. D. It never took place.
4. This passage would most likely be assigned reading in a course on _______ .
A. European history B. English grammar
C. world government D. applied linguistics
5. The paragraph following the passage most likely discusses ________ .
A. how current supporters of Esperanto are encouraging its growth
B. another of Zamenhof’s accomplishments
C. the disadvantages of using an artificial language
D. attempts to reconvene the World Congress of Esperanto in the 1920s
A. Complete the sentences without changing the meaning, using the words in brackets. Do not change the word given. (2 pt)
1. There are too many private cars on the roads. (cut)
> We ______________________________________________________________________________
2. Everyone was on time for the start of the match except Jill. (be)
> Jill _______________________________________________________________________ .
3. For further information, please send a self-addressed envelope to the above address. (sending)
> Further information ______________________________________________________________.
4. You have drunk a huge amount, and therefore you mustn’t drive home on your own. (much)
> You have drunk much _______________________________________________________yourself.
B. In around 100 words, write about a birthday wish or new-year wish that you have received and you like the best. (1 pt)
Đề thi thử tuyển sinh vào lớp 10 môn Tiếng Anh 2020 Hà Nội số 3 tương tự cấu trúc đề thi tuyển sinh vào 10 môn Anh các năm trước giúp em ôn luyện tại nhà.
Đáp án đề thi thử tiếng anh vào lớp 10 năm học 2020/2021 của huyện Vũ Thư (Thái Bình) giúp các em học sinh lớp 9 thử sức và ôn luyện tại nhà!